Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Goodbye Agatha

Alona blogged about her collections a few weeks ago.

In a comment on her post I said that I had collections of chickens and hotel pens. As I have cleaned out my study I have found a few other small collections. There are the bookmarks, the postcards, the sougenirs, theatre programs, memorial books and other geneabumph. I have managed to keep these small collections but some books have had to go. So far I have disposed of around 800 from the house proper, there are many I can't part with that have already made the move to our new abode.

Yesterday I ventured down into my branch library in the garage (5 library bays x 6 shelves high) where my older books are stored. I made good progress tossing fiction, biographies and textbooks. I have only just started on my children's book collection from my time as a children's and then school librarian. I am going to find it difficult to part with some of my picture books.

When I woke up this morning I made a very brave decision. I have collected books by and about Agatha Christie since my teens. Whenever Mum saw a secondhand copy of an Agatha mystery she would buy it for me, I read them all - even the multiple copies. The wonderful thing about the Agathas is that I can reread them after a year so and still not identify the perpetrators. Last night I just couldn't bring myself to box up the old, dusty Agathas so I left them on their shelf with my John F Kennedy collection.

This morning I told myself that I must let go. I am so proud of myself as I have just returned from the garage where I have boxed up the Agathas ready to go to the local Rotary booksale and a new home. I hope their new owners get as much enjoyment from them as I have.

Watch out JFK you may be next.



9 comments:

arkessian said...

I cleared out an entire room of books at the turn of this year (great swathes of stuff I've been collecting since I was 16). I kept one whole section of history bookds (because himself -- who never reads them -- couldn't bear to let them go) but almost everything else went off, filling a large white van sent by the local Charity Shop.

So far, they tell mew they've made £2500 on selling my stuff, and there's more to come. So not only do I not miss them, I have a whole room back (or rather a whole room not to pack and unpack when we move next year if everything goes to plan), and I have a general glow of virtue.

All I need to do now is go through the downstairs bookcases...

Anne Young said...

You are brave. When we moved from Canberra I offered to give my husband a hand. He didn't want my help, he wanted a free hand. All our books came with us though and fortunately we have the storage but it is in the garage where we have lots of storage (and no car).
We have only moved once in our married life and I can't see us moving again. I know moving triggers lots of reviews of possessions that I would find hard.

GeniAus said...

I think hoarding is a trait we genies share Anne.

Dianne said...

I have a collection of Perry Mason books I hate to part with. My Grampa used to read them then pass them on to me. I rediscovered them about 30 years ago and have been collecting them ever since. I did however pass on most of my collection of musical movies, except the Shirley Temple which my granddaughters still like to watch.

crgalvin said...

Well done, keep weeding! After many years of regular moves we have very few books left in our house. Libraries, ebooks and databases take care of our reading needs- now I just need to dispose of the recipe books!

Celia Lewis said...

G'day Jill. Collections of books are a different issue when one moves frequently! After divorce 36 years ago, I've had to rent small basement suites, often with lower than 8' ceilings. Then the landlords would decide to sell, or renovate, or move in their elderly relatives, and I'd get notice to move. So every time I moved, more books (and other saved things) were taken to books sales and 2nd hand book stores. I'm down from 7 huge bookcases and several short ones, to 2 short bookcases, and half a narrow one. The library is my friend these days!
Cheers.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

Downsizing can be painful. You're going well and Aggie will find a new home.

Alex Daw said...

Good move Jill! They say that clearing out stuff allows room for more to come into your life. I can't speak from experience of course....I am the greatest hoarder known to mankind. But I admire your efforts.

Anonymous said...

Years ago we gave loads of books to our sons primary school fete. I also worked in the the book sale room that year. One of the things we gave away was numerous booklets from the Aussie cricket test series along with some cricket biographies. One man brought them all. He was so excited to find them and add them to his collection. So nice to know they went to a "loving" home. It was the best thing that could have happened so giving away books is now a little easier. Mind you I refused to hand over my big German/English dictionary the other day just in case I find a German ancestor one day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...