Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Trove Tuesday - Yet more Pusells

We are regularly advised to return to online sources such as Trove and redo our searches. I certainly remind people to do this when I am giving presentations. So I am about to practice what I preach.

My maternal grandmother's maiden name was Pusell and I believe that nearly everyone with that surname is a descendant of my convict ancestor James Pusell.  I 'll do a simple search for Pusell and see if it turns up anything new.

The first article is a wedding report for Mum's second cousin, Horace Keith Pusell. It gives me plenty of new information to add to my Family Historian database.

1948 'PUSELL—KIRK.', National Advocate (Bathurst, NSW : 1889 - 1954), 24 December, p. 4, viewed 29 September, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article161677431
The second entry is another wedding coincidentally it is for Keith's sister, Kathleen Mavis Pusell, to Ronald Collins and it is from the same newspaper "National Advocate (Bathurst, NSW : 1889 - 1954)" which  I assume has been recently added to Trove.

I had previously seen the next few entries on the list but this one from the National Advocate about Terry Pusell was new to me. I wonder if it is the same Terry Pusell that was an Altar Boy at Keith's wedding?

1951 'BATHURST CYCLING.', National Advocate (Bathurst, NSW : 1889 - 1954), 2 April, p. 4, viewed 29 September, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article161398438
The next article from 1926 about Mum's first cousins comes from another newspaper, "Mudgee Guardian and North-Western Representative (NSW : 1890 - 1954)".




1926 'The Pusell Boys.', Mudgee Guardian and North-Western Representative (NSW : 1890 - 1954), 12 August, p. 28, viewed 29 September, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article155948184
What I found is that ten of the twenty hits on the first page of results for my Pusell search were new.

Isn't that awesome!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You may already have this...

"A very serious accident occurred on 1st August about noon in connection with the coal haulage from the screens at No 1 Colliery [Kandos] to the factory [Cement Works]. Two young boys, the elder, W Pussell, about 9 years of age, were caught in the rope tension sheaves and the elder boy having both legs broken and two fingers cut off; his condition was very grave, he later lost one leg; the younger was not seriously hurt."

Kandos Cement, A history of the Cement Manufacturing Industry at Kandos, Bruce A. Fleming, Vol 1, 2012, p93

GeniAus said...

I do thanks Andrew. Mum also has a photo of William after he lost his leg.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...