Sunday, August 23, 2015

Stanmore Shame

After hearing Michelle Nichols talk at Hornsby Shire Family History Group last Wednesday and pondering on the value of photos to family historians Mr GeniAus thought it would be nice to offer some of his collection to his old primary school.

From Marrickville Library website
So last week he phoned Stanmore Public School and asked if they had an archivist. They didn't. Then he asked if there was anyone who looked after the school history and if there was anyone who would be interested in copies of his photos from the 1950s. I listened as he asked a series of questions of the person at the other end of the line and got the feeling there was no interest. I was right.

When he got off the 'phone I could just tell how disappointed Mr GeniAus was. Perhaps the person he spoke with may have been very busy or having a bad day but surely she could have taken his name and number and asked the principal, the teaacher librarian or folk in the staff room if anyone was interested.

We had a little chat and talked about other places that might show more interest. Mr GeniAus phoned the Marrickville Library and asked to speak to the local studies librarian. What a different response he got.  The librarian was definitely interested in the photos and would be delighted to have copies in the local history collection.  Digital copies will be on their way to Marrickville real soon and should find their way into the online collection there.

Kudos to Public Libraries and Librarians.


6 comments:

Linda Stufflebean said...

I had the same response when I tried to return 90 year old class photos to a school in Boston, MA. I then moved on to the Jamaica Plain Historical Society and they were thrilled to receive them. It's all in the process of finding a good home for them.

Alona Tester said...

Great to hear Mr Geniaus has found a new home that will appreciate them. ;-)

Caitie G said...

A few months before my Grandfather died he sent his old Macksville State School tie and badge to the school. He got a letter back from the then Principal saying they had been displayed in the main foyer cabinet. He was also invited to come and see them. Sadly my Poppa got sick soon after and was never able to return. That is something I need to do one day.

Caitie G said...

This was in 2003. I plan on emailing the school to ask if they are still on display.

Anonymous said...

I'm lucky that my local home town library has an online collection of photos. I found one of my Mum and Nana at a function and one of me about 8 years old on a float. It's so great when they find a way to save and share online these memories.

Helen V Smith said...

In the school's defense they possibly don't have anyone who is aware and not having an archivist the Local Studies library is probably the best place.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...