Monday, April 20, 2015

Fools rush in...

... and as I like to think I'm not a fool I took my time in submitting DNA samples to Family Tree DNA. It has been refreshing to hear both at Rootstech and AFFHO Congress that experts suggest this as a good testing company.

Mr GeniAus and I purchased our kits in April 2011 and finally submitted our samples in February this year. Now four years after purchasing our tests I have my Family Finder and mtDNA results back and Mr Geniaus has his Family Finder results, his Y-DNA results are not yet in. We had also asked a cousin to test and she did so promptly back in 2013 but, as I was ignorant, I only ordered an mtDNA test for her. I need to cough up another $US99 and ask her permission to do the Family Finder test on her sample so I can compare common matches.

I have spent several hours today negotiating the Family Tree DNA site and uploading gedcoms, surnames and locations and earliest known ancestors for both Mr GeniAus and me. As I am scientifically challenged I am hoping that he will learn along with me and even take on communicating with his matches. I have been to several talks about DNA but still have limited understanding but think that having some personal results will help me learn. Tonight's bedtime reading will be the latest edition of Kerry Farmer's booklet on DNA.

I recently complained about the cost of BDM certificates but these DNA tests are really rich, I may have to forgo a holiday so I can fund all the tests I need want to ask relatives to take.  I think I'll get my Mum to test first but, as she's a bit of a sook, I don't like my chances of getting decent samples from her. I have a couple of first cousins in my sights especially the one who shares my four grandparents (I am an only child).

Now that my results are in I can see myself becoming a Haplogroupie.

5 comments:

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

Jill I strongly encourage you to test your mum..it's made a huge difference to my DNA sorting....though I am still often confused. Yours is one test FTDNA can't cop flak about taking too long ;)

Sharn White said...

I've been surprised by the differences between my FTDNA Family Finder and Ancestry Autosomal results but I guess that's a new topic to research!

Unknown said...

Fantastic, Jill! I'm pleased you've finally done the test, and I hope it triggers lots of new genealogical discoveries for both you and Mr GeniAus. It is great to know the kits lasted so long :)

Rosemary said...

I had mine and my brothers done quite a while ago. Now that Oz and the UK are opening up I'm hoping for more matches. Meanwhile, my only cousin (male at that) on my maternal line isn't interested. He's the ONLY descendant on that side of the family - the only son of an only son of an only son ... I could just scream!

HoolaHoops said...

Hi, I am an avid reader of your blog so was thrilled tonight to see you are a match to my husband on FTDNA - fifth to remote cousins but still a match! Happy days :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...