Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Kivaversary

I often drag the chain so when Judy Webster set up  the Genealogists for Families Group on Kiva on 27th September 2014 it took me a couple of weeks to sign up. I was reminded of my impending Kivaversary in a post from my blogging mate Pauleen who was quicker off the mark to join the group. Today it is three years since I joined the team.

In that time the 295 other genealogists (and friends) from all around the world who have joined our team have lent $US122,000 through 4,608 loans. They have made a difference to so many lives. You can see the loans I have made here: http://www.kiva.org/lender/jill4772

I love lending through Kiva because:

  • I can choose where my money goes
  • I can dedicate loans to friends and family
  • I get to know about the people I loan to through reading their profiles and seeing their photos
  • All of each $25 I loan goes straight to the borrower (I add a little to each loan for admin funds)
  • I learn about real people in other countries and the problems they face 
  • I prefer to lend than to give. As I can reinvest my funds when they are repaid I feel that my charity dollars work very hard and return great results for the borrowers and for me as a lender.
  • I get a real buzz from helping other people and families.
  • I enjoy the camaraderie of my fellow team members.
I note that the number of new members joining the Genealogists for Families Group on Kiva has slowed to a trickle this year, it would be great if our ranks could grow so that we could do even more good.

For the price of just five cups of coffee you could make a loan that may change a life. Here is your  invitation to join our team.




2 comments:

Judy Webster said...

It's a pity that membership growth has slowed, and the blame rests mainly on my shoulders. This year I have been preoccupied with various personal issues, so I have been spending much less time promoting our Kiva team (both publicly and behind the scenes). I really appreciate the fact that a few team members have written '3rd anniversary' posts to help spread the word.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

I think Judy has been far too hard on herself....we have all been inspired by her GFF project! I like how you've set out your reasons for being a Genealogist for Families member Jill. Like you I'm inspired by Judy and what our loans help others to achieve! can I add my 5 bob's worth to encourage others to join us!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...