Monday, September 8, 2014

Today is International Literacy Day

You can read all about  International Literacy Day on the UNESCO website.

Those of us who are involved in family history research possess reasonable levels of literacy that enable us to hunt down our ancestors. There are many people who because they do not have our levels of literacy would never be able to get involved in genealogy.

The theme for  International Literacy Day is Literacy and Sustainable Development. 

The website explains "Literacy is one of the key elements needed to promote sustainable development, as it empowers people so that they can make the right decisions in the areas of economic growth, social development and environmental integration. Literacy is a basis for lifelong learning and plays a crucial foundational role in the creation of sustainable, prosperous and peaceful societies"

Reading this made me think how I, as a genealogist, could help on this day. The answer came to me within seconds, as a member of the Genealogists for Families Group I could make a Kiva Loan to a person in a third world country that might go towards helping them improve their literacy.

I logged into Kiva, topped up my funds to $US25 so I had enough for a new loan and sought out an appropriate person. I am hoping my new loan will help Lileth in Beirut"who left her hometown in an attempt to improve the poor living conditions of her family there and to provide her daughter with a better life and education. She requested a loan, which she will use to pay for her daughter’s increasing school tuition fees." 

How are you marking International Literacy Day? 

You could join me on Kiva and make a loan. Together we can make a difference.


2 comments:

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

Thanks for this reminder Jill....literacy is such an important part of life for us. I supported this young man who is battling uphill to break the cycle of his life's inheritance. His parents are hawkers. I admired his courage and while this is aaa high-risk loan with delayed repayments it joins my other education loans. http://www.kiva.org/lend/762719

Kylie Willison said...

What a great way to mark the day Jill.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...