Thursday, October 24, 2013

It's time to bite the bullet

I've sat on this post for a couple of weeks as I am a nervous Nellie and worry that no-one will join me. It really is time to bite the bullet.

 Ever since Google Hangouts were introduced I have wanted to take part in them. My first attempts were disastrous because of my poor home internet connection. Since changing ISPs I find that I can now confidently participate in Hangouts.

Hangouts on Air have appeal as they can be recorded and are available for later viewing on Youtube.

I've been doing a bit of homework and have got some great tips from genealogists Tessa Keough, Dear Myrtle and Russ Worthington. Reading posts and watching Youtube videos from Hangout expert, Ronnie Bincer, has both given me confidence and added to my nervousness. I have enjoyed participating in Julie Goucher's three recent "Book of Me, Written by You" hangouts.

I would like to host some hangouts with an Australian flavour where I can conduct interviews, chat about resources, discuss issues and perhaps provide some help. Mondays with Myrt that is held at a time that is not particularly convenient for Australians is a great model for what I envisage. Two Australian genealogy related businesses have encouraged me to try Hangouts on Air so I will give it a whirl.

Of course hosting a hangout is a whole different ballgame to watching from the sidelines but I am ready to play and am looking for playmates. I am thinking about monthly or fortnightly hangouts for 30-60 minutes on a weekday evening at 9:00 pm Sydney/Melbourne time; that would be 8:00pm for Brisbane, 8:30pm for Adelaide, 7:30pm for Darwin and 6:00pm for Perth (by rotating weekdays I hope to snag participants who have regular evening commitments). People from other time zones are most welcome if times are reasonable for you. I will host Hangouts at other times when I have people from North America and elsewhere as guests.

All you need to be one of the ten live participants is a computer or tablet, a headset with microphone, a reasonable internet connection, a Google+ account and a willingness to have a go.

When you try to join your first live Hangout Google will prompt you to download some software.You do not need a Google+ account or headset to watch the hangout live but with a Google+ account you will be able to participate and make comments on the event page. If you don't have a headset I can recommend the Logitech USB Headset H390 (I got mine online from Dick Smith).

I will post the first Google Hangout, for Wednesday 30 October, as an event on Google+ shortly and invite folk in my Australian Genealogy circle plus a few others who may be interested. To keep the conversation about the hangout all in one place the experts recommend using the Hangout's Event page to make comments etc.

If you are able to join and learn with me please let me know. I want to be organised and have discussion points ready. 

Postscript This URL will take you to the Google page for the event  https://plus.google.com/events/cb5upc8qmcfs7699k7j5ehq5ff8






8 comments:

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

I have responded Jill...like you a bit nervous of this new experience but if you don't try, you don't know.

Are you going to clue us up on topics in advance?

Julie Goucher said...

Thanks for the invite Jill. I plan on being there and it will be nice to catch up with some Aussie faces and not even leave my study!

Judy Lofthouse said...

Thanks for the invite Jill. Yes It's at a reasonable time at last, thank you. Have always wanted to try a hangout so thank you for the opportunity.

GeniAus said...

Thanks for your support ladies. I am as nervous as anything but I feel I must give it a go. It's a fantastic medium for us to meet fellow genies.

John Sparrow said...

Would love to be involved. I'm on a satellite connection, so can't use Microsoft Live Meeting, but Skype is okay.

Bribie Family History Association said...

Great idea Jill - head phones don't really work for me so not sure if I can participate but hope to watch

GeniAus said...

John, The Hangout on Air uses Google software or you can watch it live on Youtube. I will paste a link to the Youtube video once it is allocated during the pre-hangout prep time.

GeniAus said...

Shauna, Hope that you can contribute some comments via the event page on Google+

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...