Friday, June 21, 2013

Sepia Saturday - SS182 My very first Sepia Saturday post

I have for quite a while enjoyed Sepia Saturday posts from fellow genealogists. When my friend, Jackie, told me the theme for this week's post I thought that I'd like to take part.

Both my Mum and Dad were raised in country New South Wales and spent a bit of time with horses in their youth. So here goes with some horsey photos from my family albums.

c 1925 
My grandfather, Frank Duncan, on horseback with my Uncle Bill Chatfield. Frank played the cornet in the Cobar Band. This photo was probably taken on the family property, Elsinore near Cobar NSW.

1940
My Dad, Allan down on the farm in Canowindra NSW. The inscription on the back of the photo from his album reads "Self on Ballantyne".

1954
During the Queen's visit to Australia in 1954 my Dad, as a member of the NSW Mounted Police, spent quite a bit of time on horseback. He is the policeman on the far right of this photo and I can see Aunty Eileen in the crowd between the third and fourth horsemen.

This post was written for Sepia Saturday 182.

14 comments:

Jackie van Bergen said...

Welcome to Sepia Saturday Jill! I'm about to put mine up too. It's amazing some of the photos that others have in their collections!

Julie Goucher said...

Great post Jill and lovely to see you on Sepia Saturday!

Wendy said...

What took you so long to get here? Welcome! I enjoyed your horse pictures very much. Ballyntine - what a great horse name.

Postcardy said...

Your family photos are interesting. I especially like the first photo with the coronet.

Little Nell said...

Well you've made an excellent start! Welcome to Sepia Saturday and we hope you'll join us again.

21 Wits said...

Hello, and welcome to Sepia Saturday. What a great post to begin with, you already feel like you've been posting for awhile. Hope to see you again, Karen

Nigel Aspdin (Derby, UK) said...

Anyone who failed to dig deep enough in this post to see your father on the day of his first communion has missed the depth and quality of your post. Wonderful...so brim full of hidden treasure. Well done Geni'orse !

Alex Daw said...

Hoorah! You're here. Now the party's really started!

Brett Payne said...

Great start to Sepia Saturday - welcome, and we look forward to more contributions from your photo archive.

Sharon said...

Welcome to Sepia Saturday Jill.

I am amazed that you could identify Aunty Eileen in that crowd.

Looking forward to seeing more Sepia Saturday posts.

Unknown said...

And this is your first post? It's a good one! Wish I could see more clearly all those horse brasses in the Mounted Police photo...

Bob Scotney said...

Glad you've joined us with such fine pictures. The mounted police were very smart.

GeniAus said...

Thanks to all the Sepians for rolling out the welcome mat. I'll be returning.

Joan said...

Welcome, Jill. And a great opening post -- snapshots of a family history a'horseback. Thanks for sharing thee delightful photos.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...