Monday, February 14, 2011

Tenor Number 13

During a conversation at a Rootstech dinner at The Roof Restaurant I mentioned to someone that I had heard the Mormon Tabernacle Choir on a visit to Salt Lake City many years ago. I was immediately introduced to Shipley Munson who is Tenor Number 13 in the choir.

Geniaus and Shipley Munson
On meeting Shipley I behaved like a young teenage rock music fan. I was entranced as he related a few anecdotes about life in the choir and told me of the program for Sunday 13th February, the day prior to Valentine's Day. I indicated that I would be along to see the group on Sunday morning. I was impressed by Shipley's enthusiasm for his voluntary work in the choir. As the Global Marketing Director for the LDS Church's Family History Department I imagine that Shipley is a fairly busy man.

I arrived at the Tabernacle in Temple Square this morning in plenty of time for the weekly broadacst of Music and the Spoken Word and took my place in the gallery. The rehearsal prior to the broadcast was in full swing so I got a taste of the music I would hear. Right on time at 9:30 am the broadcast began. I enjoyed the first two items, Exsultata Jusit and Pilgrim Song. The third Londonderry Air (or Danny Boy) played on the organ touched me as I have Irish ancestry and, co-incidentally, found a new branch of one of my Irish Families in the Family History Library at the Rootstech Night at the Library celebration.

Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square
I am fortunate that my husband consented to my spending a significant amount of money to attend the Rootstech Conference so I could follow a dream. "True and lasting Love" was the theme for the morning's message by Lloyd D Newell. After Lloyd gave his talk tears started rolling down my cheeks as I thought of my husband who can be described by these words in Lloyd's talk "I am a common man with common thoughts, and I've lived a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with my whole heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough." On  the eve of Valentine's Day I thank him for demonstrating True and Lasting Love by giving me the opportunity to visit Salt Lake City.

The song that followed the message "Love is a song" didn't help me regain my composure. The final piece for the morning  "Ode to Joy from Symphony no.9 by Beethoven was a fitting finale to an inspirational event. Knowing Tenor Number 13, being able to watch him sing in the choir and having been infected by his enthusiasm added to my enjoyment of the morning. Fittingly Shipley and his mates were given a standing ovation.
Outside the Tabernacle this morning

1 comment:

Joan Miller (Luxegen) said...

What a lovely post about the choir and your thank you to your husband.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...